A Constitution for Aotearoa New Zealand aims to create a better democracy.
It also aims to support better government and better lawmaking, because laws and government policies directly influence the quality of New Zealanders’ lives.
The first step is simply to start a conversation about New Zealand’s democratic and constitutional arrangements.
How can New Zealand’s democracy and system of government be improved? Is public power used as it should be, or are changes needed? How can the rules of government be changed so that political decisions genuinely reflect the will of the people? Do New Zealand’s current constitutional arrangements reflect the values and identity of a modern New Zealand? And so on.
The success of this project depends on your involvement. Whether you agree or disagree with the specific proposals, your voice makes a difference.
There are many ways you can contribute to the conversation:
- Send us your feedback on our specific proposals or any other topic you wish
- Write a letter to your local Member of Parliament
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper
- Make a comment on Facebook or Twitter
- Subscribe to our mailing list
- Talk with your friends about the issues